According to a report by TechCentral posted in November 2011, “The Next 10 Years in Mobile”, Tomi Ahonen who was speaking at a conference in Johannesburg, South Africa, quoted the following:
- The average person looks at their phone 150 times a day, or once every six-and-a-half minutes of every waking hour (reported by Nokia)
- In Africa, mobile users check their mobile devices 82 times a day, on average every 12 minutes (Young and Rubicam – Mobile Mania Report, April 2011)
- “Coca-Cola’s global strategy is 70:20:10. Seventy percent of its digital spend goes to mobile messaging — MMS and SMS — 20% to mobile Web and only 10% to apps”
- In Japan all websites are designed for mobile first
- The PC Web needs to be PC-optimised, the mobile needs to be mobile-optimised
- “Mobile is the fastest growing industry ever. It went from naught to $1 trillion in 2010, and is set to double by 2020”
The bottom line is, “companies without mobile strategies may find themselves without customers in years to come”.